Monday, November 12, 2007

Janadesh In Pictures

Now that the Janadesh march is over, I miss it. Most of the photographs I took were of the march and now seems a good time to post them, since I have nothing, nada, rien, zip thing to do in Kabul. Because of my leaning to community arts, please excuse the abundance of dance pictures.

We joined the march in Dholpur. Under the scorching sun, it was 40C in the shade. Foreigners found shelter in the shade of a bus. But many of the marchers sat in the open field. This team came prepared. They were the only ones with umbrellas. But I think they must belong to a tribe that carries umbrellas as part of their travel gear.


The marchers bathe daily using the water truck. Men and women take turns. They also eliminate in the field. Foreigners turn aghast, but the marchers just turn a discreet blind eye.


My first encounter with colourful women on the march. They were standing a few feet away just staring at me. I gestured I would take a photo of them and they posed for the shot.


The next day, we got to the march before it started. That's when I found out the Buddhist monks lead the march everyday.


After the Buddhist monks come representatives from the lead team of the day. Each day, the march showcases a team that represents a region or tribe of India. These representatives usually wear their local costume, make music and dance their way through the day's march. They also invite others to join in the dancing.


After the showcase team, the marchers go in order from team 1 to 24. This is team 1 waiting to start the day.


Some marchers wait patiently to start.


Many women carry their supplies for the entire march in one bag on their heads.


Locals gather to watch the marchers.


Some marchers take their infants with them on the march.


Rajagopal makes a speech after he is greeted by a group of school children in one of the villages.


Women on the march.


In one of villages, we were greeted by women who carry flower urns on their heads. This is what I mean about being a bad journalist. I asked where these women came from, then could not remember the name of their tribe or region because the names were all foreign to me.


Locals watching the march go by.


Some marchers were always jubilant.


Another group of school children greet the marchers.


Me learning to make chippati with one of the teams.


My chippati teachers.


On a very hot day (were there any other kind of days?), the march stopped so the Buddhist could lead a two-hour meditation to send wisdom to the Indian parliament.


Marchers often played instruments as they danced and chanted.


My favourite - the genderless/transvestite dancers. They were graceful and fluid, inviting me to dance with them whenever I passed. Even after I tripped and stomped on one of their feet, they invited me again the next day. Maybe they didn't recognize me from the day before because I had changed my clothes.


A tribe with bow and arrow.


One afternoon, Carole and I were recruited to lead the march part of the way.


A brillian sunset.


Marchers getting read to cook.


Another spectacular sunset.


My other favourite - men with bells on their ankles.


One day, the march stopped to wait for the minister to come make an announcement. The minister never showed. But the marchers put on a wonderful show.








Men from Rajasthan with their colourful turbans.




Back on the march with another showcase team.






They marched wearing shoes, or not.


Marchers getting ready to sleep on the side of the road.


Watching the march from my balcony in Delhi.








Final day of the march. The march was locked in this field and not allowed to proceed.


So my other favourite dancers danced the time away. These two are the men with bells on their feet. This one is Francoise' favourite.


This one is my favourite.


Representatives from the lead team waiting to start.


But the police wouldn't let the march through.


Do they look mean?




In the end, the marchers did not proceed. By the end of the day, the Prime Minister had signed the proposal for land reform that had been in front of parliament for three years. Ekta Parishad was very happy for this step towards land reform.

I went back to our hostel and joined some people who found an arts performance at one of the arts schools near by. My eyes and/or balance have gotten very bad in the last month. Not even an idiot-proof digital camera was safe in my maneuvering.






2 comments:

Swati said...

Nice pictures Mary...looks like you had a great time.

Janadesh 2007 said...

It is good photo story of the Janadesh yatra...It seems you had a good time in yatra